Feeds:
Posts
Comments

Posts Tagged ‘Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair’

La Colombière  is a lieu-dit located in the commune of Vosne-Romanée in Burgundy’s Cote d’Or. The vineyard lies just east of that portion of the village which abuts Grand Cru vineyard Romanée St-Vivant.  La Colombière itself lies halfway between the RN74 and the village. The soil of  La Colombière is similar to the clay and limestone of other village-level vineyards east of the town, such as the Clos du Château, but is significantly less rocky.

Major owners of La Colombière include Domaine du Comte-Liger-Belair, which exploits a .78-hectare parcel just to the east of the Domaine’s monopole, Clos du Château. The southeast-facing parcel is planted with vines averaging 60-80 years. Louis-Michel Liger-Belair uses 350-liter barrels for élevage of his La Colombière.

Advertisement

Read Full Post »

Clos du Château is a small 0.83-hectare lieu-dit located in the commune of Vosne-Romanée in Burgundy’s Cote d’Or. The walled vineyard is a monopole of Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair, and adjoins the Château de Vosne-Romanée, where the Liger-Belair family lives and where  the Domaine’s cuverie is located. The vines were planted in 1970 in the rocky, limestone soil of the vineyard. The vineyard produces approximately 325 cases of  wine each year.

Read Full Post »

           Echézeaux is a 37.69 hectare Grand Cru vineyard situated in the commune of Flagey-Echézeaux  (which is viticulturally joined with Vosne-Romanée). It lies upslope of the Clos de Vougeot and wraps around Grands-Echézeaux on the latter’s southern and western sides; and is bordered by Chambolle-Musigny on its north. One of the largest Grand Cru vineyards in Burgundy, Echézeaux is itself comprised of  different lieux-dits: En Orveaux, Les Champs Traversins, Les Poulaillères, Les Rouges-du-Bas, Les Echezeaux-du-Dessus, Les Loachausses, Les Criots-en-Vignes-Blanches, Clos St-Denis, Les Treux, Les Quartiers de Nuits

            The name “Echézeaux” derives ultimately from the Latin casalis meaning a rural house. Casalis was Gallicized to chesal which was pluralized into chesaux. In time, les chesaux became Echézeaux. The ealiest mention in official records was in 1287. The vineyard was acquired by the Abbot of Citeaux in 1353, in exchange for  3 livres tournois (“Tour pounds”) plus some vineyards in Chambolle.

            Echézeaux faces east from an elevation that reaches 300 meters at the top and 260 meters down below. The  slope varies from 10% at the base to 13% at the top. The soil, not surprisingly for such a large vineyard, varies significantly. In general, the base is Bajocian limestone and the soil is silty with considerable gravel and rocks. At the lower and flatter elevation, the soil is richer with a higher component of clay.

            Domaine du Comte Liger-Belair has two parcels of Echézeaux, the first a .4 ha. piece in Les Criots-en-Vignes-Blanches, and the second a .2 ha piece in Les Champs Traversins.

Read Full Post »