Clos Blanc de Vougeot is a small 2.29-hectare Premier Cru climat located in the commune of Vougeot. The vineyard, a monopole of the Domaine de la Vougeraie, is situated in front of the Château du Clos de Vougeot, below the western half of the Clos de Vougeot’s north wall. By tradition, and most likely in fact, Cistercian monks identified the parcel as early as 1110 A.D. as a perfect vineyard site for white wine used in communion. Surrounded as it is by vineyards producing red wine (not only in Vougeot but also in the whole Côte-de-Nuits), Le Clos Blanc is poetically referred to as a “diamond set in a field of rubies.”
The triangular-shaped vineyard, whose traditional lieu-dit is La Vigne Blanche, lies at an elevation of 250 meters, with an eastern exposition, and enjoys a limestone-based soil mixed with clay. While the vineyard is planted 95% with Chardonnay, there is also a small amount of traditional Pinot Beurot (4%) and Pinot Blanc (1%) which help make the wine both distinctive and complex.
Owned from 1959 until 2000 by L’Heritier Guyot , where it was quite regrettably an underperformer, the quality of Clos Blanc de Vougeot has been raised by the Vougeraie team to the very highest level. The farming is organic (certified by Ecocert) and rigorous biodynamic practices are closely followed. Winemaker Pierre Vincent presses whole bunches for 2½ hours, followed by a 12 hour debourbage at 15°C. The wine is fermented in barrels and aged for 16 months before bottling.
Only about 500 cases of the wine are made each year.