Clos du Château des Ducs is one of several Premier Cru climats in Volnay collectively known as Le Village but also entitled to their own individual Premier Cru liux-dits. Clos du Château des Ducs, a tiny .57-hectare monopole of Domaine Michel Lafarge, lies below the village of Volnay , just above Clos de la Chapelle and Clos de la Bousse d’Or. As the name suggests, this vineyard lies on the site of the 11th century Château de Volnay, which was owned by the Ducs of Burgundy from the 13th century onward. The Château itself was destroyed by fire in 1749, but its vineyards, as well as the cellars originally belonging to the Château, now belong to Domaine Michel Lafarge. Facing east, southeast, the vineyard lies at an altitude averaging 280 meters. The soil is a light-colored mixture of clay and Oxfordian (“Argovian”) limestone.